No Fees Unless We Win   (206) 919-3215
Bellingham Personal Injury Lawyer
Accidents can happen to anyone, at any time. However, many of us are not prepared to handle the financial hardship that an unexpected accident can bring. From mounting medical bills to an inability to work and provide for your family, suffering a severe injury can lead to significant stress — especially if someone else was responsible for the accident in the first place. If you or a loved one has been injured, contact our Bellingham personal injury lawyers today.
Why Choose Our Bellingham Injury Attorneys
In these situations, trust Colburn Law to help you and your family rebuild your life and seek the compensation you need to recover. For years, our firm has assisted Bellingham residents with their personal injury lawsuits and insurance claims, securing thousands of dollars in compensation.
- We believe in the power of listening to each client’s story and taking the time to craft a compelling case using unique strategies. You will work closely with your attorney to tell your side of the story, leveraging your power to collect the compensation you need.
- Our firm operates on a contingency fee basis to limit your out of pocket costs. If we do not secure a settlement on your behalf, we will not charge you any legal fees. If we do win, we will take an agreed-upon percentage of your settlement as payment.
- We understand how difficult it can be to move around after an accident. That’s why our attorneys will gladly meet with you at home, in your hospital room, or any other location that is convenient for you.
What Is a Personal Injury?
Under Washington state law, a personal injury occurs when you suffer an injury as a result of someone else’s negligence or recklessness. Personal injuries can be emotional, physical, or mental, and can involve a number of different actions and accidents, including the following.
- Car accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian collisions
- Dangerous or defective products
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Slip and falls
- Dog bites and animal attacks
- Medical malpractice
- Assault and battery
Proving a Personal Injury Claim in Bellingham
To prove a personal injury claim, you and your attorney will work closely together to collect necessary pieces of evidence to prove that the at-fault party was responsible for your injuries. However, you will need to satisfy the following four elements in your lawsuit.
- First, you will need to prove that the at-fault party owed you a duty of care at the time of your accident. Proving this element will depend on the facts of your case. For example, drivers owe each other a duty to drive safely and landlords and homeowners have a responsibility to maintain safe premises.
- Second, you will need to prove that the at-fault party breached his or her duty of care at the time of the accident. For example, proving that a homeowner was aware that his or her back porch was unstable and chose not to fix it before hosting a large party would be a breach of duty of care.
- Third, you have to prove that the breach of care led to your injuries in some way. Using the unstable porch example, you can prove that the homeowner was aware that his or her porch was dangerous for people to stand on and chose to have a party regardless of this risk. If the porch collapses during the party and you break a bone, you can prove that the homeowner’s negligence and failure to maintain a safe premises led to your injuries.
- Finally, you must prove that you suffered damages that you can collect in your lawsuit during the course of the accident. Damages can be economic, such as medical bills or lost wages, or non-economic, such as pain and suffering. Your attorney can help you identify which damages you may be eligible for.
Contact Colburn Law Today
If you are suffering from the aftermath of an accident caused by someone else’s negligence or recklessness in Bellingham, you can collect compensation for your injuries. Colburn Law will advocate aggressively for your needs, from negotiating table to courtroom and everywhere in between. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation at our office in Issaquah.