No Fees Unless We Win   (206) 919-3215
Bellingham Slip and Fall Lawyer
Landlords, building owners, and other property holders have the responsibility to maintain safe premises and to respond to potential hazards promptly and efficiently. Unfortunately, not all of these individuals keep up with these duties — leading to dangerous conditions and serious injury to tenants, visitors, and more.
Why Choose Our Slip and Fall Lawyers
If you experienced a slip and fall due to dangerous conditions on a Bellingham property, you may be eligible to collect compensation through an insurance claim or slip and fall lawsuit. In these situations, trust the expert Bellingham slip and fall lawyers at Colburn Law to guide you through the claims process to help you recover the damages you need to restore your physical, financial, and emotional well-being.
- Our attorney, Greg Colburn, began practicing personal injury law after suffering a fall from a roof due to the negligence of a subcontractor. Our firm understands firsthand how painful injuries like these can be, and we will apply this unique empathy and understanding while we help you seek justice.
- Colburn Law believes that open and direct communication is key to creating a strong and compelling case for compensation. We will inform you of all important updates in your case and will answer any questions you may have about the lawsuit process.
- Legal fees can be expensive, which is why we operate on a contingency fee basis. We will take a percentage of your final settlement as payment for our services, and if we do not secure compensation on your behalf, we will not take any payment.
What Are the Most Common Slip and Fall Injuries?
Slip and fall injuries can happen anywhere and at any time. You may trip over wet floors without proper warnings at the grocery store, trip down a broken staircase in your apartment complex, or even slip on discarded debris on the sidewalk outside of someone’s home. Uneven surfaces, unsafe construction zones, and other hazards are some of the most common causes of slip and falls, and these accidents often result in the following injuries.
- Broken bones and fractures
- Spinal cord injuries, which often result in paralysis
- Soft tissue injuries like sprains and muscle strains
- Head injuries, including concussions, bleeding, and other forms of traumatic brain injuries
- Cuts and abrasions that can range from mild to severe
Washington State Comparative Negligence Law
If someone else’s actions caused the accident or circumstances that led to your slip and fall, you do have the right to hold him or her liable in a slip and fall lawsuit or insurance claim. Through these actions, you can claim compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and other physical, financial, or emotional injuries you sustain. However, you will have to prove that the other person was negligent and that negligence led to your injuries — at least, you will need to prove that he or she was mostly at fault.
In some situations, you may share a portion of the fault. Perhaps you didn’t see a sign, or the at-fault party successfully states that you should have known about the hazard. The court will assign you a percentage of the fault under Washington’s contributory fault rule and deduct this amount from your final settlement. For example, if you share 30% of the fault and your settlement is $60,000, you will only receive $42,000.
What To Do After a Slip and Fall
If you experience a slip and fall, call 911 immediately. This will bring a police officer to your location, who will take your statement and create a police report that you can use as evidence in your claim. You will also receive emergency medical attention; remember to keep all medical records to help support your claim as well.
If you can do so safely, take pictures of the scene where you fell and your injuries. Collect the contact information for any witnesses in the area, as well as the owner of the property. After you receive treatment, contact an attorney as soon as possible.
Contact Our Slip and Fall Attorneys Today
If you are suffering from the aftermath of a slip and fall in Bellingham, you need an attorney on your side to help you claim the compensation you need to recover — and Colburn Law can help. Our attorneys have significant experience working with slip and fall cases in Bellingham and beyond. Contact us today to discuss your case and to strategize your next steps.