No Fees Unless We Win   (206) 919-3215
Bellingham Car Accident Lawyer
As drivers, we have a responsibility to operate our vehicles carefully and to follow all of the rules of the road. Unfortunately, not all of us adhere to these standards, leading to serious accidents, injuries, and even death. If you are suffering from the aftermath of a car accident that you did not cause, you may be struggling to receive compensation for your injuries — and Colburn Law can help.
Our Bellingham car accident attorneys will work closely with you each step of the way, whether you decide to file a personal injury lawsuit or insurance claim against the driver responsible for our injuries. For years, Bellingham drivers have trusted us with their car accident claims due to our dedication to our clients, passion for personal injury law, and experience working with car accident cases.
- At Colburn Law, we understand that legal representation can seem expensive and inaccessible. That’s why we operate on a contingency fee basis — if we do not secure a settlement on your behalf, you do not pay legal fees.
- Our firm understands how painful and difficult suffering a personal injury can be. Our founder, Greg Colburn suffered a fall from a rooftop as a young man due to a negligent subcontractor — and this experience inspired him to help others seek the compensation they need to recover.
- Colburn Law combines the personalized attention and close lawyer-client relationship of a small firm with the resources and tenacity of a large firm. We will communicate with you each step of the way.
Your Legal Options After a Car Accident in Bellingham
Washington follows a traditional fault car insurance system, which means that the driver responsible for the accident is responsible for paying for the damages that the other drivers sustain in the crash. You can claim compensation for these damages in three ways.
- You can file a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company.
- You can file a claim with your personal insurance company.
- You can file a personal injury lawsuit in civil court.
Typically, drivers file an insurance claim first and proceed to civil court if the insurance company refuses to settle. Your attorney can advise you on the best course of action for your case.
What to Do After a Car Accident
If you are in a car accident in Bellingham, you may feel severe pain and experience confusion, disorientation, and fear. However, you will need to take necessary steps to seek medical attention, preserve evidence, and collect important information to benefit your case.
- First, get to a safe place if you have not done so already. Pull over in a safe location and exit the vehicle if you are able to do so.
- Next, call 911. This will bring law enforcement officers and emergency medical services to the scene. Your police report will be a crucial piece of evidence in your case, and it is important that you relay your version of events to the officer.
- Seek medical attention as soon as you can. You may not feel pain in the moment, but it is important to visit a hospital — you may suffer from internal injuries you may not be aware of, or you may be in shock and not feel your injuries in the moment. In addition, avoid stating that you do not have any injuries. This can reduce your chances of receiving a settlement in your case.
- If you can walk around safely, document the scene and collect necessary pieces of information at the scene. Take pictures of all vehicles involved, your injuries, and any traffic signs and indicators around the area. Exchange information with the other driver, such as phone number, insurance information, and license plate number. If there are any witnesses in the area, collect their contact information as well.
Choose Colburn Law for Your Bellingham Car Accident Case
If you need a car accident attorney who will advocate for your side of the story from consultation to settlement, look no further than Colburn Law. Our attorneys will work closely with you to build your car accident case, guiding you through each step of the claims process so that you can receive the compensation you need to recover. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation and to discuss your legal options.