No Fees Unless We Win   206-919-3215
Seattle Personal Injury Attorney
At Colburn Law, our Seattle personal injury lawyers are dedicated to providing help and support for those who have been seriously injured due to the negligence of another. We understand that serious accidents can have a significant impact on a person’s health, career, and financial outlook – and we are here to help.
If you or a loved one has suffered a serious injury in an accident in Washington, please contact the Seattle personal injury lawyers at Colburn Law today to discuss your case. Accident victims are entitled to a fair settlement and we are committed to fighting for your right to full and fair compensation during this difficult time.
Personal Injury Resources
- Why Hire Colburn Law
- Benefits of Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer
- Personal Injury Claim Process
- Washington Negligence Laws
- Compensation in Accident & Injury Cases
- Free Consultation: Contact a Seattle Personal Injury Lawyer
Why Choose Colburn Law?
We provide exceptional representation to all Seattle residents and clients who have suffered a serious injury at the hands of another party.
- We are experienced in personal injury law, successfully representing hundreds of clients in the Seattle region as injury attorneys.
- We always put our clients’ needs first. We will sit and listen to your situation before we form a comprehensive legal strategy that is custom-tailored to your needs.
- We are personally invested in your success. Greg Colburn founded the law firm after unsuccessfully seeking help after a serious construction accident. We want everyone to receive the help they deserve.
- We represent clients and injury victims on a contingency fee arrangement. You only pay if we secure a verdict or settlement on your behalf. If we don’t win, you don’t pay.
Contact Colburn Law Offices 24/7 to take your first step towards financial recovery. At Colburn Law, we are committed to excellence and pride ourselves on having five-star reviews on Google, Facebook, and AVVO.
Personal Injury Claims We Handle
Colburn Law has extensive experience representing clients in all types of personal injury law. This includes:
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Dog Bites
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Medical Malpractice
- Brain Injuries
- Nursing Home Abuse
If you have been wrongfully injured, our experienced Seattle personal injury lawyers have the experience and knowledge to assist you.
Why Do I Need a Seattle Personal Injury Lawyer?
If you have been seriously injured in an accident, it is highly recommended to seek legal representation for your personal injury case. Pursuing compensation can be difficult for a person who not only has no experience in personal injury claims, but is also incapacitated due to serious injury. An experienced Seattle personal injury lawyer can help navigate the claims process on your behalf, taking care of all the legal matters necessary to secure compensation. This can include determining the value of your claim, filing the paperwork necessary, and advising you of the best way to proceed with your injury case.
Additionally, in serious injury cases, it can be difficult to fully appraise the scope of the compensation desired. Injury attorneys have the resources to consult any experts who can comprehensively determine the full value of your claim. This way, you have a clearer idea of what to expect in your recovery, along with peace of mind knowing that you are pursuing the maximum possible compensation for your injuries.
Ultimately, a personal injury lawyer is there as your trusted counsel and advocate to ensure everything proceeds with your well-being at heart.
Should I Speak to the Insurance Company After an Accident?
Recovering compensation in most accidents usually involve each party’s insurance companies. However, it is important to note that often, the insurance provider of the at-fault party will contact you well before any investigations have concluded. They will offer a quick settlement in the hopes of resolving the case as soon as possible and lessening the impact of an accident on their bottom line. This amount will almost always be far below what you are entitled to for a full recovery.
Insurance companies are only acting in their best interests, and therefore will almost never provide a reasonable compensation for your injuries. As such, it is highly recommended to consult a lawyer first before speaking with an insurance company. A Seattle insurance claim lawyer can help negotiate on your behalf to prevent any lowball offers from being presented, and help you to secure compensation that is full and fair.
What Can I Expect in the Personal Injury Claim Process?
Regardless of the circumstances of a personal injury, the general process for filing claims remains the same:
- Seek medical care. Your first priority should be your general health and well-being, so we always recommend seeking immediate medical attention. Even seemingly minor accidents can lead to serious, nagging injuries that can take months or even years to heal. Additionally, any symptoms may not arise until much later. Consulting a doctor can help catch any injuries before it is too late.
- Contact an attorney. A legal professional can help take care of any legal matters on your behalf while you are healing.
- Investigate your case. A Seattle injury attorney will help in investigating your claim and gathering any pertinent evidence that may substantiate your needs. This may include gathering medical records, police reports, and witness testimony.
- Make an initial demand/negotiation. At this phase, plaintiffs typically make initial demands or negotiations with any relevant parties. In most accidents, this is usually with the responsible party’s insurance company. Most smaller personal injury cases are usually resolved here, but it is rare to secure the maximum possible compensation at this phase.
- File a personal injury lawsuit. If negotiations fall through, this is when you formally file a claim against the at-fault party for compensation. Shortly thereafter, the discovery period will open – the phase in which both sides will exchange information and continue investigation of the case.
- Final settlement or trial. After discovery, most plaintiffs will make a final attempt at securing a settlement. Taking a case to trial is often a long and costly process that is typically unpredictable, so settling outside of a courtroom is usually preferred by both parties. However, if no agreement can be made, then the case will officially go to trial.
During the trial, a judge or jury will hear both sides of the claim and make a decision based upon the evidence and render a verdict. Although it may be possible to appeal the verdict, that can be increasingly difficult based on the evidence and circumstances of the case.
How Do I Prove Negligence in a Seattle Personal Injury Claim?
Securing the compensation you are entitled to requires you to first prove the circumstances of your personal injury claim. Proving a personal injury claim follows the same general rules as proving negligence in an accident. There are 4 elements that must be proven:
- Duty of care. The person and/or organization that resulted in your injury owed you a duty of care to keep you safe. For example, a driver must abide by a standard of rules to prevent injury and harm to others on the road.
- The at-fault party failed to uphold that duty of care by acting in negligence.
- The negligent acts by the at-fault party caused your injury.
- You suffered serious injuries due to the at-fault party’s negligence.
What Are Washington’s Laws on Fault and Negligence?
It is important to note that Washington State follows comparative negligence rules on fault and negligence. This means that you may be entitled to compensation even if you share some portion of the blame for the accident.
Washington state follows “pure” comparative rules on negligence – any injured party may pursue compensation for their damages, minus their share of liability. For example, if a person is found to have been 30% liable for a car accident, they may still file a claim for compensation. However, they would only be legally able to recover 70% of the determined damages.
This can even be applicable in extreme cases as well – theoretically, even if you were 99% at fault for an accident, you may still recover compensation for the remaining 1% you were not liable.
Is There a Statute of Limitations for a Personal Injury Claim in Washington State?
All states have a statute of limitations on personal injury claims – a timed deadline for injured parties to file a valid lawsuit for compensation. In Washington state, the statute of limitations is 3 years from the date of the accident. If you file a personal injury claim after 3 years, it is likely your lawsuit will get rejected by the courts.
However, the statute of limitations varies with medical malpractice claims. In addition to the 3 years, you may be able to receive additional time if the injury or damage is not discovered until much later. Known as the “discovery rule,” it provides you with one year from the date that the injury should have reasonably been uncovered.
It is highly recommended to begin filing a claim as soon as possible. A considerable amount of evidence and other information vital to your case can be lost in three years, making securing compensation for your claim significantly more difficult.
What Compensation Can I Recover in a Personal Injury Claim?
The financial compensation amounts in a personal injury lawsuit can vary greatly depending on the circumstances and other factors in your case. However, you may typically be eligible to secure compensation for:
- Any medical bills or expenses incurred as a result of the injury
- Any continuing medical expenses, such as equipment, medications, rehabilitation, and follow-up appointments
- Any lost wages as a result of not being able to work due to injury
- Any future wages that may be lost because you are unable to do your job
- Property damage as a result of your accident
- Pain and suffering due to your accident
- Loss of enjoyment
- Wrongful death
Experienced Seattle injury attorneys can help determine the full value of your claim by consulting experts and previous case results.
How Much Does a Personal Injury Attorney Charge?
Generally, it can be difficult to determine the costs of a personal injury attorney. However, at Colburn Law, we understand that sudden, unexpected accidents can create significant financial hardship in many families in Seattle, with the onset of medical bills, property damage, and extended time away from work. In such circumstances, it can be difficult to even consider paying more money to retain an attorney.
To remedy these concerns, we are proud to offer legal representation based on a contingency fee arrangement. There are no upfront costs for our services – the initial consultation is free. Throughout the duration of the case, all legal expenses are advanced. At the conclusion of the case, you only pay for legal fees if we secure a favorable settlement or verdict on your behalf – and this is never taken out of pocket, but as a percentage of your recovery.
This allows you to retain exceptional representation without having to worry about how to pay for services – and it allows us to provide the best possible representation in order to secure the maximum possible compensation for your needs.
Contact Our Top-Rated Seattle Personal Injury Lawyers Today
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured due to the negligence of another, please contact us today to discuss your case. Let our team of seattle personal injury attorneys help you secure the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Greg Colburn is dedicated to representing clients throughout the greater Seattle area, such as Bellevue, Kirkland, Tacoma, Bellingham, Redmond, Federal Way, and more.
Schedule a free initial consultation with us today and see how we can help.
Let Greg Colburn fight for you the way he fought for himself when a roofing subcontractor negligently installed a material that caused him to fall more than 20 feet. You can read Greg Colburn’s journey to practicing personal injury law here.
Client Testimonial: 5/5 ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Greg guided me through a stressful process involving a car accident and the insurance company. Not only did he put me at ease, but he was truly an advocate for me and my family. I am truly thankful for his help, and would highly recommend him to any of my friends or family.
More Client Testimonials