No Fees Unless We Win   (206) 919-3215
Bellevue Truck Accident Attorney
While any type of car accident has the potential to cause devastating injuries, truck accidents can have an even greater impact. The disparity in size between a commercial truck and a passenger vehicle often means that those in the smaller car take the brunt of the damage, while the truck and its driver may be able to walk away unscathed. When such accidents are the fault of another party, you have a legal right to compensation.
However, the legal complexities of commercial trucking accidents can put you at a disadvantage if you choose to represent yourself. You need knowledgeable, experienced, and compassionate legal help. At Colburn Law, our Bellevue truck accident attorneys always work to make sure that you get the fair compensation you deserve to facilitate recovery from your injuries.
What Causes Truck Accidents in Bellevue, WA?
Truck accidents involve more than just the truck driver – they can easily involve other parties. This can make successfully determining fault a complicated process. Potential at-fault parties include:
- The truck driver. If the driver acted negligently while behind the wheel or by failing to perform necessary maintenance, he or she may be at fault.
- The trucking company. Improper maintenance can lead the trucking company to be at fault, as well as negligent hiring and training or ignoring federal trucking regulations.
- The truck manufacturer. When the accident is the result of defective parts, rather than maintenance, the manufacturer may be responsible.
- The shipping/loading crew. Improperly loading cargo or failing to secure it properly can cause cargo to fall into the road or to upset the balance of the truck.
Sometimes, more than one party may be responsible for your accident. An attorney can help you correctly determine the liable parties. Let our Bellevue personal injury lawyers us handle your trucking accident.
For More Information on Truck Accidents in Washington Click Here: 2018 Washington Truck Accident Statistics
Seek Help from Our Bellevue Truck Accident Attorneys
If you or a loved one has suffered injuries in a Bellevue truck accident, you may be eligible for compensation. Consulting with the attorneys of Colburn Law can help you determine the best approach to your case. Contact us to schedule an appointment today.
Common Types of Truck Wrecks
Because of the size and shape of semi trucks, they often have different crash patterns than smaller passenger vehicles. Unfortunately, many of these accident types can cause devastating damage to the vehicle the truck collides with – as well as other vehicles in the vicinity.
- Jackknife accidents. A jackknife is a type of accident where the tractor skids to the side, forming an L-shape with the cab. Improper brake usage on declines and sharp turns can lead to these accidents. Any vehicle in the path of the trailer, it could suffer extensive damage from the impact.
- Rear-end collisions. The size and weight of a truck means the vehicle needs more time to stop than a regular car. The weight also puts a great strain on the braking system. If a truck driver misjudges the time it takes to slow down, if a passenger vehicle cuts the truck off, or if there’s an equipment failure, it can lead to a major car accident.
- Blindspot collisions. Another consideration that truck drivers must account for is their vehicle’s blind spots. The length of trucks makes it impossible for drivers to see everything on either side of the truck. If a passenger vehicle is in a truck’s blind spot, the driver may not notice and attempt to merge, pushing the smaller vehicle off the road.
- Rollover accidents. Trucks naturally have a higher center of gravity which makes it more likely for them to become unbalanced and tip over. One potential cause of this is the driver error of not reducing the vehicle’s speed enough when taking a turn. Another can be improperly loaded cargo, which shifts in the trailer and upends the balance. In either case, the resulting damage can be devastating, especially if hazardous cargo spills into the road.
Any of these accidents have the potential to cause serious injury to anyone in the involved or surrounding vehicles, especially if the initial collision leads to secondary accidents.
If you only contact one lawyer after an accident, I would tell you to contact Greg Colburn. -Sean S.