Colburn Law

No Fees Unless We Win   206-919-3215

click for free consultation

How to File A Car Accident Claim with USAA

Colburn Law

How to File A Car Accident Claim with USAA

Car accidents can be scary occurrences, leading to severe injury, financial hardship, and emotional distress. If someone else is responsible for your collision, Washington insurance law requires him or her to pay for the damages you suffered. You can file a lawsuit against the negligent driver in court, or you can file an insurance claim with his or her company. If the negligent driver in your claim is a USAA policyholder, you will need to follow a series of steps to file your claim. To discuss your claim, contact our Seattle car accident lawyers today for a free consultation.

The USAA Claims Process

The USAA insurance claims filing process is very similar to claims processes at other companies. After your accident, you will need to take the following steps to report your damages to USAA.

  • First, you will need to report your claim to USAA. You can do so online, on the USAA mobile app, or over the phone.
  • Next, the company will review your claim and assign an adjuster to your case. The adjuster will evaluate your damage and provide a repair estimate. He or she may also contact you for additional information.
  • After receiving the repair estimate, you can choose to accept the offer and schedule your repair at a USAA-preferred shop. The company will then close the claim.

It is important to remember that insurance companies want to protect their bottom line first and foremost. You may not receive an adequate settlement offer, which can harm your future recovery. To protect your best interests during the insurance process, contact a lawyer as soon as possible.

What Happens If USAA Denies Your Claim in Washington State?

USAA may deny your claim for a number of reasons, such as a lack of evidence or scrutiny about your injuries. Although a denial may feel like a final option, you do have the ability to have someone re-evaluate your claim. You can file an appeal with USAA, where the company will re-examine your case and provide a second opinion. In some cases, however, you may want to escalate the claim to a lawsuit.

Personal injury lawsuits allow you to collect compensation from the at-fault party, provided you can establish his or her negligence at the time of the accident. While the court process is longer and more serious than an insurance claim, you can collect higher amounts of compensation than you can under a typical USAA policy. This option is viable if you suffer severe injuries and require a high settlement that exceeds the at-fault driver’s policy limits. Most lawsuits settle out of the courtroom, so you may not need to go to trial unless it is necessary.

What to Do After a Car Accident in Washington State

After your accident, it is important to protect your health and seek medical attention as soon as possible. You should call 911 immediately after the crash to report the accident to law enforcement and receive emergency medical services. If you can move around the site safely, you can also collect evidence for your future claim.

  • Take photographs of your injuries and vehicle damage.
  • Take photographs of the accident area, any traffic signs and signals, and the other vehicles involved.
  • Ask the at-fault driver for his or her contact, license, and insurance information.
  • Ask any witnesses in the area for their contact information.

After you receive treatment, contact a Seattle personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. Your attorney will advise you throughout the claim process and determine which pathway is right for your case.

Additional Information: