No Fees Unless We Win   206-919-3215
Seattle Aviation Accident Attorney
An aviation accident can happen to anyone who boards an airplane, from pilots in small helicopters to passengers on large domestic or international flights. While these crashes are thankfully rare, they have the potential to cause serious injury or death — and in many cases, someone’s negligence is responsible.
If you are in an aviation accident in Seattle, Colburn Law can help. Our attorneys have the strategies, knowledge, and resources necessary to recover the compensation you need to heal.
Why Choose Colburn Law
- Our firm will always be in direct communication with you, informing you of important updates and answering questions in a timely manner.
- Our attorney, Greg Colburn, knows the personal injury process firsthand — he suffered extensive injuries that required him to use a wheelchair for two years. This unique experience allows our firm to provide compassionate, knowledgeable representation.
- Colburn Law operates on a contingency fee basis to minimize your out of pocket costs. We will not charge you any legal fees unless we secure a settlement on your behalf.
Common Causes of Aviation Accidents
Multiple factors can play a role in aviation accidents, but since these occurrences are rare, negligence is usually the underlying cause. Identifying what caused the accident is the first step to filing a lawsuit.
Many acts of negligence can contribute to aviation accidents, including the following.
- Mechanical issues: Planes require regular maintenance, and if an aircraft enters the air without proper repairs or upkeep, an accident can occur. Defective parts may also play a role.
- Pilot errors: Pilots undergo extensive training to avoid accidents or errors, but aviators can still make mistakes in calculations and communications. Some pilots commit acts of serious negligence while flying, such as substance abuse.
- Air traffic controller errors: Like pilots, air traffic controllers must adhere to a certain standard of care when performing their duties. However, errors can still occur, leading to a serious accident.
Types of Aviation Accident Lawsuits
You can hold multiple parties liable in an aviation accident lawsuit, depending on the cause of your accident. Your attorney will launch an in-depth investigation to determine whose negligence was responsible, allowing you to identify who to hold responsible.
If the pilot committed an act of negligence, you may file a claim against him or her, as well as his or her employer. An airline is responsible for the negligence of its employees, so if the pilot works for a major carrier, you can hold the company responsible. These rules also apply to other negligent employees, such as air traffic controllers.
In cases of mechanical failure, you may hold the manufacturer of a defective part liable if the cause of the plane crash was the defect specifically. If the issue is maintenance-related, the company may be liable for this oversight. If a mechanic committed an error while servicing the plane, he or she could be a defendant in the lawsuit.
Compensation Available After an Aviation Accident
After an aviation accident, you may suffer from severe pain, emotional injuries, and long-lasting financial and physical consequences. Under Washington law, you have the right to claim both economic and non-economic damages you sustained as a result of the crash, which may include the following.
- Past and future medical expenses
- Disability accommodations
- Chronic pain
- Lost wages and loss of future earnings
- Emotional distress
- Property damage, if applicable
- Mental health problems, such as depression or PTSD
- Wrongful death benefits, such as funeral expenses
Your attorney from Colburn Law will guide you through which damages you qualify for, creating an estimated settlement amount and evaluating any offers you receive.
Do You Need a Seattle Aviation Accident Lawyer?
Aviation accidents can have a severe impact on your life — from increasing debt to preventing you from returning to work. You deserve compensation for your damages, and Colburn Law is here to help.
Our personal injury lawyers have handled numerous aviation accident cases in Seattle and throughout the state of Washington. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation and take the first steps to justice.