No Fees Unless We Win   206-919-3215
The Serious Injuries That Come from Sideswipe Collisions
Posted in Car Accidents on August 2, 2022
Any type of car accident can cause serious injuries, but sideswipe collisions are especially dangerous. These accidents occur when the side of one vehicle hits the side of another, usually as a result of unsafe lane changes or improper turns.
If you are injured in a sideswipe accident, it is important to seek medical care as soon as possible. These collisions can lead to serious injuries, such as internal bleeding, brain trauma, and spinal cord damage.
Common Causes of Sideswipe Collisions
Driver negligence is the most common contributor to sideswipe collisions. In Washington, drivers have a responsibility to follow several traffic laws and abide by safe driving practices. If a driver drives dangerously or breaks the law, he or she can easily collide with the side of another vehicle.
Below are some of the most common causes of sideswipe accidents:
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence
- Fatigued or drowsy driving
- Making unsafe lane changes
- Aggressive and reckless driving
Common Sideswipe Accident Injuries
Sideswipe accidents can lead to serious and potentially life-threatening injuries, even if you do not experience any symptoms at first. Various injuries can occur as a result of these collisions, including:
- Spinal Cord Injuries: The spinal cord is responsible for sending messages from the brain to the rest of the body. During a sideswipe accident, the spinal cord can become compressed, severed, or damaged in some way. Spinal cord damage can lead to a loss of feeling and function below the injury site.
- Broken Bones: The force of a sideswipe accident can be significant and cause bones to break. It is common for drivers to suffer fractures in the legs, arms, wrists, and ribs, along with other bones. These injuries can be painful and take months to heal.
- Burn Injuries: In some accidents, a car can catch on fire and cause severe burn injuries to the occupants inside of the vehicle. You could suffer from painful burn injuries during a sideswipe accident, sometimes resulting in permanent scars and disfigurement.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries: You can hit your head or experience an object penetrating your skull during a sideswipe accident. This can lead to severe brain damage and permanent complications with movement, concentration, memory, and more.
- Internal Organ Damage: Internal organs like the liver, kidneys, and lungs can suffer serious damage during a sideswipe accident. You may experience internal bleeding or the shutdown of different organ systems. Symptoms of internal damage may not appear immediately, so it is important to seek medical care as soon as possible.
Recovering Compensation after a Sideswipe Accident in Washington
A sideswipe accident can affect your life in several ways. Depending on the severity of your injuries, you could require lifelong medical care and develop permanent disabilities. You may be unable to return to work or engage in the activities that you once loved.
If someone else was responsible for your sideswipe accident, you deserve justice. In these situations, you have the right to file a lawsuit or insurance claim against the liable driver and recover a settlement to pay for medical care, property damage, and more.
A Washington car accident attorney can help you file your claim and recover the compensation that you need to recover. As soon as possible after your accident, go to the doctor and seek medical care. Then, consult with a lawyer to plan your next steps.