No Fees Unless We Win   206-919-3215
Collisions with Parked Cars While on a Motorcycle
Posted in Motorcycle Accidents on December 2, 2021
Motorcycle accidents can happen for multiple reasons. Speeding vehicles, distracted drivers, poor road conditions, and even dangerous weather can result in a collision. In fact, a parked car could be responsible for a motorcycle accident.
Careless drivers can open their doors into traffic, causing a motorcyclist to collide with their vehicle. In these situations, you may be able to file a lawsuit or insurance claim against the at-fault driver—but you may face challenges while recovering compensation.
The Dangers of Parked Cars for Motorcyclists
When driving past parked cars, motorcyclists need to be very careful. Drivers sitting inside of these vehicles may not be paying attention to the road. When the driver needs to exit the car, he or she can swing the door into a lane of oncoming traffic. If you are riding in that lane, you may not have enough time to react to the door, leading to a collision.
Accidents involving parked cars can be just as dangerous as collisions with moving vehicles, especially for motorcyclists. You can sustain severe, life-threatening injuries, such as the following.
- Facial and dental injuries
- Broken bones and fractures
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord damage and paralysis
- Burn injuries, including road rash
Do You Need a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
If a driver carelessly opens his or her door into traffic and you collide with the vehicle, you have the right to pursue a motorcycle accident claim. By pursuing an insurance claim or lawsuit, you could recover financial compensation for lost wages, medical expenses, and more. However, motorcyclists often face difficulties during the claims process.
There are several negative stereotypes about motorcyclists, and some insurance representatives may believe that the motorcyclist is responsible for the accident. The representative or the other driver may claim that you were distracted or that you had enough time to respond to the door before the collision. These assumptions can prevent you from recovering compensation.
In these situations, you need a Washington motorcycle accident lawyer on your side. An attorney can defend you against accusations of fault and gather the evidence you need to prove your right to compensation. Your lawyer can conduct a full investigation into your claim, leverage his or her firm’s breadth of resources, and enlist the help of expert witnesses who can testify on your behalf.
What to Do If You Are Injured by a Parked Car
If you are involved in a parked car accident, it is important to seek help as soon as possible. Take the following steps to protect yourself and your future claim.
- Call 911 or ask someone to call 911 on your behalf. This will bring law enforcement and emergency medical services to the scene. If you are able, speak to the officer and collect his or her information so that you can find the police report.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible. Save all records related to your treatment and injuries. If you do not feel injured, you should visit a doctor regardless—you may have internal injuries and failure to seek medical care could impact your future claim.
- If you are able, document evidence at the scene of the accident. Take as many photographs as possible and save physical evidence. Ask any witnesses in the area for their contact details, and briefly exchange information with the at-fault driver.
After seeking medical attention, contact a Bellevue motorcycle accident attorney as soon as possible to discuss your case and legal options.